Art and Design
Our curriculum intent applies to all our young people, regardless of background, gender, sexual orientation or ability. As a school, and department, we are absolutely committed that the opportunities we plan for and implement ensure that each student can reach and exceed their potential.
Here at Wyvern academy the Art, Design and Technology department offer a broad and balanced curriculum across the subject discipline areas on offer. We currently offer the following subject areas: Art and Design, Photography, Engineering, Three dimensional design, Food preparation and Nutrition. Our intent at KS3 is for pupils to learn a range on enjoyable and creative skills across all ADT subject areas. Building on the knowledge students have already learnt at primary school. We have dedicated teaching environments, manufacturing equipment and specialist teaching. At KS4 students have the opportunity to excel in our subject areas and focus on specific disciplines with the aim for all pupils to progress through the vision of excellence and opportunity.
The ADT department are committed to reflect the schools vision of excellence in all we do. This is achieved by ensuring our curriculum is ambitious and creative with pupils and staff consistently demonstrating the highest standards of support and engagement during our curriculum sequencing. Literacy and numeracy are embedded through the department curriculum which supported through the national curriculum guidance and the inclusion of key terminology, tier 2 and tier 3 teaching and teacher modelling. We contribute to the whole school vision and successfully apply additional curriculum methods such as reading, quiet processing and key vocabulary tests.
Our curriculum is constantly evolving, with the intent to further increase students’ opportunities to aid there next stage of education. We currently have links with several colleges and universities across our subject areas working closely with our careers advisor. Ranging from Art and Design workshops to engineering experiences in specialist areas.
We have recently been selected as a partnership academy for a local company BAM who are responsible for the renewed design of our local train station. This is an exciting opportunity for our students moving forward and making links with industry.
Our students are empowered to be professional learners though our ambitious and consistent approach, and we are proud to deliver content that enables pupils to actively contribute to the culture, creativity and wellbeing of themselves.
Knowledge and skills:
To meet our curriculum intent the knowledge and skills which are developed through our curriculum and delivered to students has been selected and guided through the national curriculum.
Art and Design
To use a range of techniques to record their observations in sketchbooks, journals and other media as a basis for exploring their ideas. To use a range of techniques and media, including painting to increase their proficiency in the handling of different materials. To analyse and evaluate their own work, and that of others, in order to strengthen the visual impact or applications of their work about the history of art, craft, design and architecture, including periods, styles and major movements from ancient times up to the present day. Produce creative work, exploring their ideas and recording their experiences. Become proficient in drawing, painting, sculpture and other art, craft and design techniques. Evaluate and analyse creative works using the language of art, craft and design. Know about great artists, craft makers and designers, and understand the historical and cultural development of their art forms.
Curriculum Overview - Art and Design
- Autumn Term 1: Formal Elements
- Autumn Term 2: Formal Elements
- Spring Term 1: Pop Art: Identity
- Spring Term 2: Pop Art: Identity
- Summer Term 1: Pop Art: Identity
- Summer Term 2: Pop Art- Food
- Autumn Term 1: Sea Life Sketchbook- Skills
- Autumn Term 2: Sea Life Sketchbook- Skills
- Spring Term 1: Sea Life Sketchbook- Final Piece
- Spring Term 2: My Town
- Summer Term 1: My Town
- Summer Term 2: My Town - Final Piece
- Autumn Term 1: Personal Project/ Food
- Autumn Term 2: Personal Project/ Food
- Spring Term 1: ESA
- Spring Term 2: ESA
- Summer Term 1: ESA and improvement of portfolio
- Summer Term 2: Final preparation for exams
- Autumn Term 1: Insect Sketchbook
- Autumn Term 2: Insect Sketchbook
- Spring Term 1: Insect Final Piece 1
- Spring Term 2: Insect Sketchbook
- Summer Term 1: Insect Sketchbook
- Summer Term 2: Insect Final Piece 2
- Autumn Term 1: Structures- Workshop lessons
- Autumn Term 2: Structures- Workshop lessons
- Spring Term 1: Structures- Workshop lessons
- Spring Term 2: Structures- Final Pieces
- Summer Term 1: Personal Project
- Summer Term 2: Personal Project