Wyvern Academy Curriculum Intent
At Wyvern Academy, the curriculum has been designed to ensure that our vision of ‘excellence in all that we do’ is realised in our environment, and within our classrooms, consistently. Teaching and learning lies at the very heart of everything we do, and we have high expectations of all of our students, and therefore also of the curriculum provision.
The Trust mission of ‘Enriching Lives, Inspiring Ambition’ is incorporated into all curriculum planning ensuring all we do has a focus on helping the students to reach and exceed their potential; through the provision of opportunities, partnerships and the collaboration between the Trust, community, teachers and pupils and by being people-centered so that our culture remains inclusive and everyone feels valued; academically, socially and emotionally. Progress is planned for at every level and the clear sequencing of the development of knowledge and key skills is shared with every student in every subject through the use and reference to their subject-specific learning journeys.
We believe that
• Every student has the right to a high-quality education, no matter their starting points and/or educational and social needs.
• A commitment to a love of life-long learning should be aimed upon for all students in our Academy
• Every classroom should be one filled with learning, where students can build on their knowledge of topics in subjects, and opportunities are provided to extend this learning outside of the classroom
• Learning is a mutually celebrated experience, where pupils are given praise and rewards for exceptional performance and where they can also learn and build from their mistakes
• Opportunities should be planned for so that students should be sufficiently stretched and challenged in lessons to ensure that they fulfil their potential and can compete with the very best students both regionally and nationally
• Students should be given opportunities to develop their independence and resilience so that they become confident learners who can draw on a wide range of skills and strategies to problem-solve both within classrooms and in the wider community
• Classroom environments should reflect our core academic ethos so that students receive the same high quality learning experience across the breadth of the curriculum using our learning cycle, SOLAR, to effectively plan for progress in every lesson
• Classrooms should be ‘literacy-rich’ to develop and support students’ literacy skills
• Numeracy, SMSC, STEM are developed and embedded across the curriculum, making appropriate connections to life in the real world in order for students to see the relevance to their learning.
Our curriculum is matched to the abilities, interests and aspirations of our students. The well-sequenced lessons and students’ abilities to learn are underpinned by the partnerships in the school allowing teachers to build on prior knowledge and allowing the students to fully connect past learning to new knowledge.
Our curriculum will focus on students’ development by providing exciting and challenging learning and extra-curricular opportunities and experiences. By working together we aim to develop links between different subjects and to support and develop literacy and numeracy skills.
Student development and the development of their cultural knowledge and understanding is at the core of all curriculum decisions made by providing exciting and challenging learning and co-curricular opportunities and experiences. We believe that our intent will ensure that all Wyvern Academy students uphold their ‘professional learner’ status and will become the responsible and respectful members of society as they make their way into the community.
To find out more about the curriculum at Wyvern Academy, please contact Mr S. Parker (Deputy Headteacher - Quality of Education) at firstname.lastname@example.org