Our curriculum intent applies to all our young people, regardless of background, gender, sexual orientation or ability. As a school, and department, we are absolutely committed that the opportunities we plan for and implement ensure that each student can reach and exceed their potential.
Skills and knowledge
Designing: Generating, developing, modelling and communicating ideas through developed detailed design specifications to guide their thinking. Use research to identify and understand user need identify and solve their own design problems. To design specifications that include a wider range of requirements such as environmental, aesthetic, cost, maintenance, quality and safety understand how to reformulate design problems given to them. Consider the influence of a range of lifestyle factors and consumer choices when designing products. Take creative risks when making design decisions and consider additional factors such as ergonomics, anthropometrics or dietary needs.
Making: Produce ordered sequences and schedules for manufacturing products they design, detailing resources required. Select appropriately from specialist tools, techniques, processes, equipment and machinery, including computer-aided manufacture. Exploit the use of CAD/CAM equipment to manufacture products, increasing standards of quality, scale of production and precision.
Evaluating: Evaluate their products against their original specification and identify ways of improving them.
Technical Knowledge: How to classify materials by structure e.g. hard woods, soft woods, ferrous and non-ferrous, thermoplastic and thermosetting plastics. How to use simple electronic circuits incorporating inputs and outputs. Use learning from science to help design and make products that work. Use learning from mathematics to help design and make products that work.
Curriculum Overview - Design and Technology
- Autumn Term 1: Connection Methods New and emerging technologies
- Autumn Term 2: Energy generation and storage
- Spring Term 1: Developments in new materials
- Spring Term 2: Mechanical devices
- Summer Term 1: Speaker Project, Systems approach to designing
- Summer Term 2: Materials and their working properties Material categories
- Autumn Term 1: NEA Section 1 A01
- Autumn Term 2: NEA Section 1 A02
- Spring Term 1: NEA Section 1 A03
- Spring Term 2: Exam preparation
- Summer Term 1: Exam preparation
- Summer Term 2: Exam preparation