Special Educational Needs
At Wyvern, we value all our students and ensure they are seen as individuals with differing interests, knowledge, skills, and needs. We have an inclusive ethos and strive to increase the learning and participation of all pupils, ensuring access to an appropriate curriculum. SEND is seen as a whole school issue, hence the responsibility of everyone. Every teacher is a teacher of every young person including those with SEND or any other additional need. We work closely with our children, families, and a wide range of professionals to ensure the best educational outcomes.
Objectives of our SEND provision
- Ensuring equality of opportunity for all – students should be able to access a wide range of learning opportunities as well as being fully integrated into school life socially.
- Ensuring that the specific needs of individual pupils are identified and met, whether on a short or long-term basis and that all staff are involved in this process, as well as outside agencies, where necessary.
- Providing appropriate support to allow all pupils to achieve the highest possible levels of performance, both academically (pupils with SEND should be making at least expected progress) but also in other areas of school life
- Raising the self-esteem and aspirations of pupils with SEN and developing their skills as independent learners
- Developing and maintaining communication and effective partnerships with parents
- Following the requirements and recommendations of the SEND Code of Practice 2001
Contact Details: SENCo – Kris Marley – email@example.com
The school supports the local offer of the local authority.
What is the Local Offer?
The purpose of the Local Offer is to enable parents and young people to see more clearly what services are available to them in the area and how to access them. The offer includes provisions from birth to 25, across education, health, and social care and had been developed in conjugation with children and young people, parents and carers, and local services, including schools, colleges, health and social care agencies.
Darlington’s Local Offer Learning and Skills SEND Local Offer can be found here.
An audit is currently being commissioned, as per the accessibility policy, which will inform the new accessibility plan.